Thursday, October 15, 2009

Seeking Joy

Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.

Even David was in the pit sometimes, was stuck in a bog without a song of joy. But he waited patiently for God. He trusted that He would show up. And He did -- He made David secure on the rock, and gave him a new song of praise.

Joy is a gift given by God, a gift we are commanded to seek in Him. But we must remember that the seeking is also a gift lest we try to do it in our own strength. Only through His grace am I able to pursue satisfaction in Him. My joy in Him will be the greatest when I see Him as the one who gives both the joy and the strength to fight for it.

No comments: