Saturday, September 11, 2010

Boasting in Weakness

I've been thinking about self-disclosure lately. I seem to be on the high end of the scale. Not that I tell random people the intimate details of my life (wait, does blogging count?), but with friends it doesn't take much for me to spill my guts. But what about the hard stuff? Sins I'm still struggling with? Things I'm not trusting God for? What I'm being lazy in, or disobedient?

After listing numerous ways that he has suffered for God, Paul disdains all that might be admired, things that could be boasted in, in favor of boasting in that which does not highlight his own strength.
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.
2 Corinthians 11:30
Paul gives a call to be real, to be vulnerable. It's a call away from pride and self-protectiveness. Showing trusted others our weaknesses can bring God glory because it reveals His power in us. 
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.
2 Corinthians 4:7
I want to see God's power at work, in my life and the lives of my brothers and sisters. I want to see how each of us are being transformed into Christ's likeness, because when God's power is revealed He is glorified. To quote Beth Moore, "God's glory is the way He makes Himself known or shows Himself mighty...God's glory is how He shows who He is." Isaiah declares that we were created to glorify God (43:7), and Beth reasons that He uses us for His glory in two ways: by making Himself recognizable to us and making Himself recognizable through us.

But in order for God to be glorified by us becoming a display of His power, we must be honest about where we're really at. We need to let each other see that we are fragile jars of clay.

I recently read this article by John Piper which I think gives some worthy insight. When we are vulnerable enough to share our true needs and struggles with each other, God can pour out His mercy through the spiritual gifts He's given to the body. And using us to minister to each other in our vulnerability will surely bring Him glory.

So I'm left to ponder, how can I give God glory by boasting in my weakness?

No comments: