Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Worthy Motivations

My resolutions in the past have almost always been born of guilt.

Resolutions in general seem to be a trap. Somehow if I just have enough will power, I should be able to change myself? I just don't buy it. Guilt may propel me to a quick start, but it has no endurance to motivate. Just try harder? Even when aimed at spiritual disciplines, guilt only gets me so far.

Instead of trying to change myself, this year I want to focus on this truth:

He loved me and gave Himself for me.  Gal 2:20

He loves me. Therefore I will ask Him, the Giver of all things good, for what I need. And what God has impressed upon me recently is that I need humility.

Humility will lead me to read the Word and to pray because I will see my need. Humility will lead me to confess my sin and ask for forgiveness (James 5:16). Humility will enable me to remember I make the same mistakes and bad choices as my loved ones, and to cover my judgment and their sins with love (Phil 2:3, 1 Pet 4:8). Humility will enable me to experience a greater width, length, height and depth of God's magnificent love (Eph 3:17-19). Humility will lead me to submit to the Spirit, producing thankfulness, patience, compassion, generosity, and selflessness (Gal 5:22-23).

So this is my prayer for 2014. Lord, grant me humility, that I may walk in a way more pleasing to You.

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.  Eph 5:1-2

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.  James 4:10

No comments: